Scholarships for nursing students are essential for anyone who wants to pursue their educational dreams without incurring unnecessary debts. Fortunately, many institutions want to encourage students to pursue careers in healthcare. As a result, there are often more nursing scholarships than students expect.
No matter where your student is in their academic career, there is a chance that scholarships for nursing students can meet their needs. If your students aim to enter a nursing career, here’s what they need to know.
Eligible for Nursing School Scholarships and Grants
Many students wonder if they are eligible for nursing school scholarships and grants. In practice, the eligibility requirements are often different. As a result, students may be eligible for some awards but not others.
Finally, awarding organizations can set any rules regarding eligibility. In most cases, the largest part of the equation is the student’s official major or program of study. For nursing grants and scholarships, it is often necessary to pursue an eligible degree or certificate, such as:
- Diploma in Practical Nursing
- Nursing Assistant Certification
- Links in Nursing
- Bachelor of Nursing
- Master of Nursing
- nursing doctor
Some awards focus on specific grades. For example, the nurse practitioner scholarship is only for those aiming for a Master’s degree, while the RN to BSN scholarship is aimed at students who already have an Associate – allowing them to work as RNs in many states – and want to secure a Bachelor’s degree to advance your career.
Along with studying the right major, students will have to meet other requirements. Exactly what is required may vary depending on the awarding institution.
For example, there are male nurse scholarships that limit applicants to men, while minority nurse scholarships may focus on specific races or ethnic backgrounds. Nursing scholarships for international students focus on students who are not US citizens or lawful permanent residents, while military-related nursing grants and scholarships may be available only to veterans or those ready to serve after graduation.
There may be requirements beyond that as well. Financial need is common to many private and government nursing scholarships. It is typical to have academic excellence in science courses, and some scholarship committees also look for students with a history of community service.
Since requirements can vary, students need to look closely at each nursing scholarship program to see if they qualify. That way, they can focus their energy on the right prizes, increasing their odds of success.
Types of Nursing School Scholarships
Generally, there are two types of nursing scholarships and grants. First, there are awards that focus specifically on nursing school students. Second, there are generally healthcare scholarships that can be used for nursing programs and choosing a medical or healthcare major in addition to nursing.
Given the former, one of the primary requirements is usually to be enrolled in a qualified nursing program or at a qualified nursing school. While there may be more to it than that, that requirement is often the basis for deciding if a student is eligible.
With the latter, students studying healthcare-related majors may also be eligible. That could include any medical major, as well as specific policy, public health, or sociology majors. As a result, the competition for these awards can be fiercer, as more students are likely to qualify. However, that doesn’t mean they aren’t worth pursuing, especially as the additional eligibility requirements can be much narrower than most students expect.
Scholarships for nursing students
Scholarships and grants for nursing students are very popular for many reasons. One, having a strong medical community ensures the well-being of its residents. Second, there is currently a shortage of nurses, so organizations are using scholarships to attract talented students into the field.
Since nursing scholarships are popular, most students interested in becoming a nurse can often find awards that can reduce the cost of college easily. Here is a list of 49 scholarships for nursing students:
- AACN Continuous Career Development Scholarship
- AACN Continuing Professional Development Scholarship
- A Nurse I Am Scholarship
- AfterCollege-AACN Scholarship Fund
- T. Anderson Memorial Scholarship Program
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing Scholarships
- American Association of Occupational Health Nurses Professional Development Scholarships
- American Holistic Nurses Association Scholarships
- American Indian Nurse Scholarship Program
- American Nephrology Nurses Association Career Mobility Scholarships
- Army Medical Scholarships
- Army Nurse Corps Association (ANCA) Scholarship Program
- Barbara Rhomberg Nursing Scholarship
- BrightView Nursing Scholarship
- CCI Nursing Scholarship
- Delaware Nursing Incentive Program
- ENA Foundation Academic Scholarships
- com College Scholarship
- Genesis Healthcare Foundation Scholarships
- George B. Boland Nurses Training Scholarship Trust Fund
- Geraldine “Polly” Bednash Scholarship
- Hemophilia Federation of America Medical/Healthcare Services Educational Scholarship
- Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago Academic Scholarship
- Kaiser Permanente Health Equity Scholars Program
- Landau Amaze Yourself Scholarship
- Law Offices of Joseph J. Bogdan, LLC Healthcare Professional Scholarship
- March of Dimes Graduate Nursing Scholarships
- Marsha’s Angels Scholarship Fund
- Meland Foundation Nursing Scholarship
- National Black Nurses Association Scholarships
- National CPR Foundation Scholarship Program
- Native Hawaiian Health Scholarship
- Nightingale Awards of Pennsylvania Nursing Scholarships
- Nurse Corps Scholarship Program
- org Nursing Student Scholarship
- Nurses Educational Funds Scholarship
- Nurses Make a Difference Scholarship
- Nursing Economic$ Foundation Scholarships
- Nurses Foundation of Wisconsin Mary Barker APRN Nursing Scholarship
- org Nursing Scholarship
- org Single Parent Nursing Scholarship
- org Underrepresented Student Nursing School Scholarship
- Nursing Foundation of Pennsylvania Scholarships
- Parthenon Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing Scholarship
- Promise of Nursing Scholarship
- R&D Systems Scholarship Application
- Save a Life Scholarship for Students of Healthcare and Education
- com Undergraduate Nursing Scholarship
- Test Yourself Scholarship